King Johns Castle
Dating back to the 13th century, King John’s castle is one of Limerick’s oldest relics. Located on King John’s Island, the castle was built under the orders of the King in order to protect the city from rebellion and mutiny. Attempts to expose King John’s defences can still be seen today on the walls as you tour through its courtyards. Located just 15 minutes from the Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, King John’s Castle is one of the most popular visits among our guests.
Discover the state-of-the-art visitor centre with multimedia interactive activities and exhibitions or maybe relax and unwind inside the castle’s café while enjoying the stunning scenery & views of the castle and the River Shannon.
· Jan - Feb: 9.30am to 5.00pm (last admission 4.00pm)
· March -April: 09.30am to 5.30pm (last entrance is at 4.30pm).
· May 09.30am to 6pm (last admission at 5pm)
· June/July/August: 09.30am to 6.30pm (last admission at 5.30pm)
· September: 09.30am to 6pm (last admission at 5pm)
· October- December: 9.30am to 5.00pm (last admission 4.00pm)
Closed: December 24th, 25th & 26th
For further details, please contact the Shannon Heritage Team directly for assistance.
Contact: (061) 360788
If you are planning your trip to Limeick, click here to see what packages we have on offer.